Speaker: Adele Wootton and Craig Hodges
January 31, 2014
As our course is winding down it is time to focus on what is ahead – starting our careers and building our personal brand. To this end Adele Wootton and Craig Hodges from Creative Niche shared their knowledge and experience and provided much need advice when they visited our class.
Creative Niche is a world leader in connecting creative talent with the best companies in the their fields. Adele, Director of Client services, and Craig, Relationship Manager, have a wealth of experience and we are very lucky to have them share it with us.
The focus of the presentation was resumé preparation. Points to cover in a well constructed resumé are:
- Identify the role you want in a company.
- Conduct an assessment of your abilities, skills and experiences.
- P-A-R: Problem-Action-Result. What was the challenge? What action did you take to overcome the challenge? What was the result of your action?
- List of soft skills e.g. strong work ethic, attention to detail, team player, positive attitude.
- List of hard skills and skill level e.g. Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator.
- No fluff – better to be short and concise than to pad with filler.
- Customize your resumé for each position.
- Be concise and specific about accomplishments.
- Showcase academic achievements, extra-curricular activities and related courses.
- Do not include your home address (so you are not judged on accessibility).
- Provide a direct link to your website with a PDF option for printing.
- Check if your resumé successfully conveys your strengths and your suitability for a position by sharing your resume with people who will give you honest feedback.
Not only did Adele and Craig walk us through the daunting task of preparing a good resumé they gave us a questionnaire to help answer all the points listed above. I’m finding this a really helpful tool as it removes the terror of seeing a blank page staring back at you.
Thank you Adele and Craig for the invaluable help.
Company: Creative Niche